Definition of headward in English:
1.1 Geology Denoting erosion by a stream or river occurring progressively upstream from the original source.
- During the Miocene the shelf was intermittently emergent, and the submarine canyons were extended to the shelf area through headward erosion.
- Apparently, V-shaped and planar-floored canyons, previously ascribed to downslope erosion vs. slope failure/headward erosion, respectively, can coexist.
- The Alpine lakes of northern Italy, also, are now thought to occupy sites of headward erosion during Messinian time.
adverbBack to top
(also headwards) Towards the head.
- Presumably, saying a nerve moves headwards or toewards is not sophisticated enough for doctors.
- For a very brief instant, looking headwards as he was, he could not identify the person by sex, for he saw a turban and under it a face which though not that of an East Indian was colored almost olive.
Words that rhyme with headwardEdward
Definition of headward in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan