Definition of headward in English:
1In the region or direction of the head.
- Odd neuron numbers respond to headwards displacements and even numbers to tailwards displacements.
1.1 Geology Denoting erosion by a stream or river occurring progressively upstream from the original source.
- During the Miocene the shelf was intermittently emergent, and the submarine canyons were extended to the shelf area through headward erosion.
- Apparently, V-shaped and planar-floored canyons, previously ascribed to downslope erosion vs. slope failure/headward erosion, respectively, can coexist.
- The Alpine lakes of northern Italy, also, are now thought to occupy sites of headward erosion during Messinian time.
adverbBack to top
(also headwards) Towards the head.
- Presumably, saying a nerve moves headwards or toewards is not sophisticated enough for doctors.
- For a very brief instant, looking headwards as he was, he could not identify the person by sex, for he saw a turban and under it a face which though not that of an East Indian was colored almost olive.
Words that rhyme with headwardEdward
Definition of headward in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.