Make more cheerful or confident: [with object and infinitive]: she was heartened to observe that the effect was faintly comic (as adjective heartening) this is the most heartening news of all
More example sentences
- For those who think the appreciation of old clocks will decline, Jeff has heartening news.
- I arrive home and am heartened by the sight of my dog sitting patiently in front of the gates awaiting my arrival.
- The only people who want to hear bad news are the people who are heartened by failure.
- Example sentences
- The death toll among American soldiers remains startlingly and hearteningly low, not horribly and frighteningly high.
- After this meeting, there were private discussions with some guesthouse owners and, hearteningly, some non-aligned farmers.
- So go out there, grab life by the collar, or at the very least a copy of this book… it's creative and inspiring and hearteningly original.
Words that rhyme with heartenAkhenaten, Akhetaten, Aten, Barton, carton, Dumbarton, Parton, smarten, spartan, tartan
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: heart¦en
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.