- 1In a hearty manner: she laughed heartily they dined heartilyMore example sentences
wholeheartedly, sincerely, genuinely, unfeignedly, warmly, cordially, deeply, profoundly, from the bottom of one's heart, from the heart, with all one's heart, heart and soul; eagerly, enthusiastically, with eagerness, with enthusiasm, zealously, energetically, earnestly, vigorously, ardently, resolutely
- He laughed heartily as he kissed her and she eagerly returned his passion.
- He threw back his head and laughed heartily, for his appetite for football gossip matched his encyclopedic knowledge on the game itself.
- I found myself chuckling over that, and then laughing heartily.
- 2 [as submodifier] To a great degree; very (especially with reference to personal feelings): they were heartily sick of the whole subjectMore example sentences
very, very much, completely, entirely, totally, absolutely, extremely, thoroughly, fully, decidedly, really, exceedingly, immensely, uncommonly, extraordinarily, most, downright, one hundred per cent; Scottish unco; North American quite; French trèsSouth African • informal lekker• informal , • dated devilish• archaic exceeding
- And by that time people will be heartily sick and tired of hearing about National's tax cuts.
- I am heartily sick of people in shops demanding money with no social niceties.
- I'd be heartily sick of dusty decorations by then, so I've some understanding of the reason behind the withering glance.