1A purple-flowered Eurasian heath that grows abundantly on moorland and heathland. Many ornamental varieties have been developed. Also called ling1.
- Calluna vulgaris, family Ericaceae (the heather family). This family includes the rhododendrons and azaleas as well as the bilberries and many other berry-bearing dwarf shrubs
More example sentences
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias, pieris, skimmia, citrus and many others must have acid soil.
- Have you ever investigated all the available varieties of heaths and heathers?
- Skimmias also like to grow in slightly acid soil, making them superb companions for the heathers and ivies of your choice.
- More example sentences
- There are warm heathery notes of the toasted Languedoc soil among the bright strawberry and plum tones.
- This is a wine that Ryanair needs to watch out for: it can transport you in a Proustian rush to the dry, heathery heat of an evening north of Carcassonne for less than £9 return.
- Even tweeds and heathery mixtures camouflage soil.
Definition of heather in:
- The US English dictionary