Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of heavy lifting in English:
1The lifting of heavy objects.
- The rotation we prescribe alternates heavy and light lifting, but it also has some heavy lifting every training day, so that your muscles are never able to become complacent and take a break from growing.
- They found that heavy lifting initiated inflammatory processes that caused destruction of joint cartilage and actually inhibited its reconstruction.
- Schedule heavy lifting or shoveling until cooler hours when possible.
1.1Hard or difficult work: the heavy lifting in this business is in designing external distribution systems
More example sentences
- It took a lot of backroom heavy lifting and hand-holding in Congress on our part.
- Arnold's talk involved no heavy lifting; he merely sought to assure conservatives that he was the genuine article.
- We can't rely on them to think for us; we have to do the intellectual heavy lifting ourselves.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.