- Water in which the hydrogen in the molecules is partly or wholly replaced by the isotope deuterium, used especially as a moderator in nuclear reactors.More example sentences
- The most common moderators are substances of low atomic weight such as heavy water (deuterium oxide) or graphite.
- Because of their heavier weight, heavy water molecules evaporate less readily than light water molecules.
- In heavy water the hydrogen bonds are slightly stronger, and this changes the properties of the liquid sufficiently to disrupt the lubricating effect water has on biochemical processes.
More definitions of heavy waterDefinition of heavy water in:
- The US English dictionary