- By about 1000 B.C.E. the Hebrews had established the kingdom of Israel, which later split into two kingdoms, Judah and Israel.
- Like their cousins back in England, these American Puritans strongly identified with both the historical traditions and customs of the ancient Hebrews of the Old Testament.
- For example, the struggle of the ancient Hebrews against the wicked Pharaoh came to embody the struggle of the colonists against English tyranny.
- In this period, Hebrew was spoken, and Hebrew is a Semitic language, just like Arabic.
- Arabic is a Semitic language related to Hebrew and Aramaic.
- Another example of a resuscitated language is modern Hebrew.
- Yesterday the front entrance to the Paradise Hotel was blocked off by yellow tape with Hebrew lettering.
- And it's just a song of all the Hebrew names of God.
- Each new title of his sells in excess of 50,000 copies in the Hebrew editions alone, ahead of being translated into more than a dozen other languages, including Arabic.
- But the writers aren't merely parroting what they learned in Hebrew school - they're analyzing it as a parable of corporate politics as well as piety.
- This movie scene shows sacred rites and chants corresponding accurately to the mystical Hebrew folklore of 16th-century Prague.
- And on Sunday we celebrated Lucy's Hebrew naming ceremony.
Hebrew is written from right to left in a characteristic alphabet of twenty-two consonants, the vowels sometimes being marked by additional signs. From about ad 500 it was almost entirely restricted to Jewish religious use, but it was revived as a spoken language in the 19th century and, with a vocabulary extended by borrowing from contemporary languages, is now the official language of the state of Israel
Definition of Hebrew in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.