Definition of hedgehog in English:
1A small nocturnal Old World mammal with a spiny coat and short legs, able to roll itself into a ball for defence.
- Family Erinaceidae: four genera and several species, including the common Erinaceus europaeus (which is predominantly insectivorous) of western and northern Europe
- Animals co-habiting in the woods include field mice, grey squirrels, hedgehogs and three roe deer.
- Many species of hedgehogs can roll up into a ball, hiding all vulnerable areas of the body under the protective spines.
- The hedgehog is an old world mammal that has possibly changed little over a million years.
1.2Used in names of plants or fruits resembling a hedgehog in having spines, e.g. hedgehog cactus, hedgehog holly.
- Called the hedgehog holly, this is a non-berrying male holly with exceptionally spiky dark green leaves, margined with cream.
- It grows here, along with numerous smaller cacti, including beaver-tail cactus, California barrel cactus, hedgehog cactus, and various prickly pear cacti.
- The glorious flower color of the hedgehog cactus rivals that of the desert sunset.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan