Definition of hedgehog in English:
1A small nocturnal Old World mammal with a spiny coat and short legs, able to roll itself into a ball for defence.
- Family Erinaceidae: four genera and several species, including the common Erinaceus europaeus (which is predominantly insectivorous) of western and northern Europe
- Animals co-habiting in the woods include field mice, grey squirrels, hedgehogs and three roe deer.
- Many species of hedgehogs can roll up into a ball, hiding all vulnerable areas of the body under the protective spines.
- The hedgehog is an old world mammal that has possibly changed little over a million years.
1.2Used in names of plants or fruits resembling a hedgehog in having spines, e.g. hedgehog cactus, hedgehog holly.
- Called the hedgehog holly, this is a non-berrying male holly with exceptionally spiky dark green leaves, margined with cream.
- It grows here, along with numerous smaller cacti, including beaver-tail cactus, California barrel cactus, hedgehog cactus, and various prickly pear cacti.
- The glorious flower color of the hedgehog cactus rivals that of the desert sunset.