Definition of hedonism in English:
1The pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence.
- The whole point of a sports car is hedonism, the selfish pursuit of pleasure.
- He represents bored self-indulgence and hedonism.
- There is a critique of hedonism, or the pursuit of pleasure.
self-indulgence, indulgence, pursuit of pleasure, pleasure-seeking, lotus-eating, epicureanism, epicurism, self-gratification;
lack of self-restraint, intemperance, intemperateness, immoderation, overindulgence, overconsumption, excess, extravagance;
luxury, the high life, high living;
Italian la dolce vita
1.1 Philosophy The ethical theory that pleasure (in the sense of the satisfaction of desires) is the highest good and proper aim of human life.
- In the twentieth century, most of those sympathetic to utilitarianism replaced hedonism with the desire-fulfilment theory.
- Although hedonism fails as a theory that gives us a fixed end, it does contain a methodological insight.
- In fact hedonism, the view that pleasure is our ethical end, is always on the defensive in ancient ethics.
Mid 19th century: from Greek hēdonē 'pleasure' + -ism.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.