(Of a person or wrongful act, especially a crime) utterly odious or wicked: a battery of heinous crimes
More example sentences
- But his mind's eye isn't fraught with mournful replays of a life cut short by a heinous crime.
- Hence minorities were also targeted for committing various heinous crimes.
- The candidate has to be involved in two separate cases of heinous crimes to attract disqualification.
odious, wicked, evil, atrocious, monstrous, disgraceful, abominable, detestable, contemptible, reprehensible, despicable, horrible, horrific, horrifying, terrible, awful, abhorrent, loathsome, outrageous, shocking, shameful, hateful, hideous, unspeakable, unpardonable, unforgivable, inexcusable, execrable, ghastly, iniquitous, villainous, nefarious, beneath contempt, beyond the pale
rare egregious, flagitious
- Example sentences
- Fact of the matter is, that such heinously perverted acts bring out, in one way or another, the animal inside everybody whether it's the perpetrator, the victim, the prosecuting authorities, the political groups or the general public.
- The most common misconception about the sport of triathlon is that you have to be ‘hard-core’ to do it, and that the distances for the swim-bike-run event are heinously long.
- As it is, she is a heinously idiotic breeder who rather unfortunately chooses to be photographed next to horses she resembles.
- Example sentences
- To that end, seek greater awareness of your depravity and the heinousness and irrationality of sin.
- Certainly, given the heinousness of the accusation and the community outrage, it wouldn't be a surprise if they asked for it.
- Anyway, I'm having a hard time seeing the heinousness of this document again.
Late Middle English: from Old French haineus, from hair 'to hate', of Germanic origin.
Words that rhyme with heinousanus, Coriolanus, Janus, Punta Arenas, Silvanus
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hein|ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.