Definition of helicity in English:
1chiefly Biochemistry Helical character, especially of DNA.
- The reason for the relatively low helicity of long peptides is unclear to us.
- One peptide was designed to maximize helicity and the other, having the same composition but a different sequence, was designed to minimize helical formation.
- Mechanistically, the expansion event begins with a slight loss of helicity in the stem region.
2 Physics A combination of the spin and the linear motion of a subatomic particle.
- Linear equations can't easily capture magnetic field helicity, a property that prevents much of the field's energy from dissipating as heat.
- One physicist later wrote that, had Maurice Goldhaber not existed, ‘I am not sure that the helicity of the neutrino would ever have been measured‘.
Definition of helicity in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.