Definition of helicity in English:
1chiefly Biochemistry Helical character, especially of DNA.
- The reason for the relatively low helicity of long peptides is unclear to us.
- One peptide was designed to maximize helicity and the other, having the same composition but a different sequence, was designed to minimize helical formation.
- Mechanistically, the expansion event begins with a slight loss of helicity in the stem region.
2 Physics A combination of the spin and the linear motion of a subatomic particle.
- Linear equations can't easily capture magnetic field helicity, a property that prevents much of the field's energy from dissipating as heat.
- One physicist later wrote that, had Maurice Goldhaber not existed, ‘I am not sure that the helicity of the neutrino would ever have been measured‘.
Definition of helicity in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan