A parent who takes an overprotective or excessive interest in the life of their child or children: some college officials see all this as the behaviour of an overindulged generation, raised by helicopter parents and lacking in resilience
More example sentences
- Not surprisingly, parental involvement in kids' lives has pushed its way onto campuses, where "helicopter parents" hover, trying to help their kids through college financially, emotionally and even academically.
- Behind their back they're called helicopter parents because they hover over their children and make a lot of noise rescuing them whenever difficulty arises.
- At the very least, helicopter parents want to know what the university is doing to help their children thrive.
helicopter parenting noun
- Example sentences
- The study's authors said this may be because helicopter parenting was helping to keep under-performing students in the academic system.
- Isn't it time to ask if "helicopter parenting" actually exists and, even if it does, should it be considered such a bad thing?
- And there are some that say over-parenting is different than helicopter parenting.
1980s: from the notion of the parent ‘hovering’ over the child or children.
Definition of helicopter parent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.