1Having or representing the sun as the centre, as in the accepted astronomical model of the solar system. Compare with geocentric.
- The model universally accepted was Kepler's heliocentric solar system with elliptical orbits.
- Just as the Western church refused at first to accept the heliocentric model of Copernicus, so modern astronomy so far chooses to dismiss this second discovery.
- Scientific transactions between east and west also contributed to Copernicus' account of the heliocentric nature of the solar system.
1.1 Astronomy Measured from or considered in relation to the centre of the sun: heliocentric distance
More example sentences
- The varying relationship between geocentric and heliocentric longitudes makes it difficult to calculate the exact chance of such a thing happening in any chart, but it is certainly over 95%.
- Example sentences
- These maps are oriented heliocentrically, the north is at the top, the west is on the right.
- Astrology is a great key to determining the true sequence of planetary orbits, both heliocentrically and geocentrically.
- Simply, the Earth sign stands opposite the Sun in longitude - exact to the degree, minute and second, whether seen geocentrically or heliocentrically.
Definition of heliocentric in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.