A mainly woodland orchid occurring chiefly in north temperate regions. See also false helleborine.
- Two genera in the family Orchidaceae: Epipactis (with greenish or reddish flowers that are sometimes self-fertilized) and Cephalanthera (with larger white or pink flowers)
More example sentences
- And at the weekend he and a group of seven volunteers carefully dug up 73 rare broad-leaved helleborines and took them by wheelbarrow to their new home where they were replanted.
- The helleborines are growing in the sun and in the shade, under trees and out in the open.
- The first two pictures are marsh helleborines and the last one is a green flowered helleborine which had been discovered the day before our visit.
late 16th century: French or Latin, from Greek helleborinē, a plant like hellebore, from helleboros 'hellebore'.
Definition of helleborine in:
- The US English dictionary