Definition of hemlock in English:
1A highly poisonous European plant of the parsley family, with a purple-spotted stem, fern-like leaves, small white flowers, and an unpleasant smell.
- Conium maculatum, family Umbelliferae
- They are the tap roots of a plant in the umbelliferae family which includes parsley, cow parsley and hemlock.
- What a difference a week makes just now, verges frothy with cow parsley and hemlock, hillsides painted yellow with colza.
- If attacked by parasitic flies that lay eggs in their bodies, they switch to a diet of poisonous hemlocks.
1.1 [mass noun] A sedative or poisonous potion obtained from the hemlock.
- Did anyone ever say, ‘Socrates, hemlock is poison’?
- Socrates was condemned to death (poisoned by hemlock, so the legend goes) after his ‘Apologia’.
- Condemned to die, he drank poison hemlock with noble calm and courage.
2 (also hemlock fir or spruce) A coniferous North American tree with dark green foliage which is said to smell like hemlock when crushed, grown chiefly for timber.
- Genus Tsuga, family Pinaceae: several species
- Many of the needle evergreens including yew, arborvitae, hemlock, and incense cedar make fine hedges.
- Evergreen plants, including dwarf conifers such as hemlocks, junipers, pines, and spruces, can form a backbone to anchor the design of a rock garden.
- Just a few hours from Portland, Ore., or Seattle, you can stroll through the lush foliage of ferns and wildflowers, beneath ancient spruce, hemlock and cedar trees.
Old English hymlice, hemlic, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with hemlockfetlock • airlock
Definition of hemlock in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.