- It's part of a long-running battle to get the Government to relax the restrictions on growing hemp for food and fibre.
- They'd already experimented with less common cereal crops and discovered that hemp, once traditionally grown in the area, thrived in the warm, wet climate of the southwest.
- The only unfortunate thing is that hemp has to be grown to see its cannabinoid component, and it then needs to be tested to see whether it exceeds 0.3 percent.
- As a fabric, hemp is sturdy, strong and comfortable.
- It was damnably uncomfortable, having a lump on one's head the size of a fist and tied with strong hemp rope.
- Trombly points out that the strong fiber produced by hemp and kenaf blends well with the weaker post-consumer recycled paper.
- According to rules laid down by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress, opium, heroin, morphine, hemp, cocaine and other addictive narcotics are banned.
- Subsequently, the Commission's conclusion was that the physical, moral and mental effects of hemp drugs, if used in moderation, were not adverse.
- Habit-forming and hard-to-kick addictions such as overindulgence in alcohol, heroin, hemp, Ecstasy, and an almost limitless palette of hard drugs should be avoided like the plague.
canvas from Late Middle English:
You can smoke cannabis (late 18th century), or, more legally, make canvas out of its fibre. The versatile cannabis plant, also known as hemp (ultimately from the same root), gives its name to the fabric, as both come from Latin cannabis. To win a race or competition by a canvas is to win it very narrowly. The canvas here is the tapered front end of a racing boat, covered with canvas to keep water out. In the early16th century the verb canvass meant ‘to toss someone in a canvas sheet’, as a punishment or as part of a game. Other early meanings included ‘to beat’ and ‘to criticize severely’. This led on to the idea of discussing an issue, and then to proposing something for discussion. Finally, the word acquired the meaning ‘to seek support’, as in ‘to canvass for votes’ at an election.
Words that rhyme with hempkemp, temp
Definition of hemp in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.