verb[with object] (usually as adjective henpecked)
- (Of a woman) continually criticize and order about (her husband or other male partner): henpecked husbandsMore example sentences
browbeaten, downtrodden, bullied, dominated, nagged, subjugated, oppressed, repressed, intimidated, ground down, without a mind of one's own, tied to someone's apron strings, under someone's heel; meek, timid, docile, cringing, cowering, abject
- If you haven't seen it, it's the movie where Adam Sandler plays a novelties salesman who is henpecked by his sisters.
- Everyone in the neighborhood knows that Mr. Macy is henpecked by his wife and that the poor man won't be allowed to keep the big, yellowy-white blind dog that's wandered onto his property.
- Others alleged that Isabelle Randall henpecked her husband, was inattentive in church, and ignored her grooming to the point that she had torn seams and grease spots on her suits.
More definitions of henpeckDefinition of henpeck in:
- The US English dictionary