A plant of the buttercup family, with anemone-like flowers, native to northern temperate regions.
- Genus Hepatica, family Ranunculaceae
More example sentences
- The forest has not been cut for 300 years, and I found myself surrounded by ground flora such as Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, yellow wood anemone, toothwort, asarabacca, herb paris and hepatica.
- It gathered flowers from the forest floor as they walked: yellow celandine and primrose, pale anemone, pink-veined wood sorrel, purple hepatica, lilac and plum violets.
- On this day, the first hepatica buds were poking through the leaf mat, and some were opening into startlingly light-blue flowers.
from medieval Latin hepatica (herba) 'plant having liver-shaped parts, or one used to treat liver diseases', feminine of hepaticus (see hepatic).
Definition of hepatica in:
- The US English dictionary