Definition of heptathlon in English:
An athletic event, in particular one for women, in which each competitor takes part in the same prescribed seven events (100 metres hurdles, high jump, shot-put, 200 metres, long jump, javelin, and 800 metres).
- Last year, she had two no-jumps in the long jump during the heptathlon at the World Athletics Championships.
- Synchronized swimming was held for the first time; other Olympic debuts were women's 400 meters hurdles and the heptathlon, replacing the pentathlon.
- ‘It's very rare in the heptathlon for an athlete to produce seven great events,’ she said.
- Example sentences
- It could be that Shannan will become a pentathlete or a heptathlete, but she may decide to specialise in the sprints or on middle-distance.
- Originally a heptathlete, Dragila tried pole vaulting for the first time at age 23.
- Her twin sister Lindsay, a former heptathlete at Brown University, now competes in pole vault and finished eighth at 2004 Trials.
Definition of heptathlon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan