Definition of herbarium in English:
noun (plural herbaria /-rɪə/)
1A systematically arranged collection of dried plants.
- All materials examined are deposited at the spirit collection and the herbarium of the Botanical Museum of Cordoba, Argentina.
- Pollen material was obtained from the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
- Voucher specimens were deposited in the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
1.1A room or building housing a herbarium.
- Apart from the rooms where patients are treated, the main clinic from which he works in Kitarare, has a nursery and there are plans for an herbarium.
- Both herbaria house a broad collection of specimens from North American representatives of the genus Arabis.
- Most herbaria house morphologically unidentifiable immature collections of Carex.
Definition of herbarium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia