- An animal that feeds on plants: [as modifier]: predatory carnivores and their herbivore preyMore example sentences
- This includes both carnivores such as wolves, which eat other animals, and herbivores such as cows, which eat plants.
- The previously discussed benefits of large size to a mammalian herbivore probably also accrued to large herbivorous dinosaurs.
- Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.
- More example sentences
- As with mammals, herbivorous dinosaurs of different body size probably selected different diets.
- The dugong is the only living herbivorous mammal that spends its entire life in the sea.
- Many of the extinct marsupial megafauna were large, herbivorous browsers, some weighing several tons.
mid 19th century: from Latin herba 'herb' + -vore (see -vorous).
More definitions of herbivoreDefinition of herbivore in:
- The US English dictionary