verb[no object] (usually as adjective herniated)
(Of an organ) suffer a hernia: a herniated disc
More example sentences
- Only fetuses most severely affected with liver herniated into the chest, diagnosis before 24 weeks, and a ratio of lung to head of less than 1.4 are eligible for treatment.
- These diverticula are considered false diverticula because the mucosa herniates through the esophageal muscular wall.
- In women, the bladder can herniate through the vaginal wall because of obstetrical injury, then the outlet tube is kinked.
- Example sentences
- Massive hemorrhage into the glioblastoma, brain edema, and herniation explain the death of this patient.
- A CT scan performed within two hours of completing myelography enhances the diagnostic quality and reliability of the imaging study by more accurately depicting osteophytes, disc herniations, and spinal cord contour.
- No obvious necrotizing lesions, edema, or herniations were present.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: her|ni¦ate
Definition of herniate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.