- A highly addictive analgesic drug derived from morphine, often used illicitly as a narcotic producing euphoria.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: diacetylmorphine; chemical formula: C17H17NO(C2H3O2)2
- Any person trying heroin or any addictive drug for the first time knows that it can hook you.
- Caffeine is addictive and hooks you in the same way as amphetamines, cocaine and heroin.
- Yes, the use of heroin and harder drugs has also risen steadily there over a similar period.
late 19th century: from German Heroin, from Latin heros 'hero' (because of its effects on the user's self-esteem).