Any of a group of virus diseases caused by herpesviruses, affecting the skin (often with blisters) or the nervous system.
- Viruses including flu, herpes, measles and chickenpox can cause pneumonia.
- Your pap smear can occasionally identify sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes or human papilloma virus.
- In combination with drug therapies, it is useful in treating skin diseases, such as psoriasis, herpes, and eczema.
- Example sentences
- The pain may precede the onset of the herpetic rash and, rarely, herpetic neuralgia can occur without the development of a rash.
- Symptoms of herpetic encephalitis may include headache, confusion, seizures, or lethargy.
- Adverse effects include true hypersensitivity, secondary bacterial and herpetic infection, and postinflammatory pigmentation changes.
Late Middle English (originally used also of other skin conditions): via Latin from Greek herpēs 'shingles', literally 'creeping', from herpein 'to creep'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.