1 medical name for shingles.
- Pain is the most debilitating feature of herpes zoster, and postherpetic neuralgia is the most common long-term complication.
- Topical corticosteroids are often recommended in addition to oral antiviral agents to help reduce the pain and inflammation of herpes zoster.
- The study shows that the clinical course of herpes zoster is relatively benign and that postherpetic neuralgia rarely affects daily life.
1.1A herpesvirus that causes shingles and chickenpox.
- Primary varicella infection can often be prevented or at least limited by administration of the varicella vaccine within 72 hours of exposure to chickenpox or herpes zoster.
- Doctors should exclude well established causes of skin necrosis, including herpes zoster, staphylococcal skin infections, and syphilitic chancre, before implicating arthropods at all.
- In facial palsies caused by herpes simplex virus or herpes zoster virus there remains a strong correlation between the peak severity of the palsy and the outcome.
Late Middle English: from herpes and Latin zoster, from Greek zōstēr 'girdle, shingles'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: her¦pes zos¦ter
Definition of herpes zoster in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.