noun (plural same)
- The SI unit of frequency, equal to one cycle per second.More example sentences
- Frequencies of hundreds of megahertz were selected with a resolution of just a few hertz, while the magnetic field had to be homogeneous to within one part in a billion.
- It now occurs to me that the best analogy for Google hits as a measurement term is not hertz or joules or pascals, but degrees Celsius.
- The selection of the frequency shift is 100,000,000 hertz.
late 19th century: named after H. R. Hertz (see Hertz, Heinrich Rudolf).
More definitions of hertzDefinition of hertz in:
- The US English dictionary