Definition of hesitancy in English:
The quality or state of being hesitant: Jackson took advantage of some hesitancy in the defence to rifle in a shot
More example sentences
- With equal frequency he swept the ball off the sod without a second's hesitancy, and all told his was a performance fit to grace any final.
- The hesitancy and uncertainty that characterised the lead-up to this conflict has now been taken into the battlefield.
- There is one man who will have no doubts or hesitancies.
uncertainty, hesitation, hesitance, unsureness, doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, irresolution, irresoluteness, indecision, indecisiveness, equivocation, vacillation, wavering, scepticism, nervousness, second thoughts;
dithering, stalling, shilly-shallying, temporizing, temporization, pausing, delay, hanging back, waiting;
British havering, humming and hawing;
- Example sentences
- We must overcome our hesitance, doubt, fear, anxiety, grief, torment, suffering… if we can do all of these things, we can do anything.
- Instantly he saw me, but in place of the smile he would have given me only two days ago, there was a look of uncertainty and hesitance.
- Faerwald thought about the girl's hesitance for a second before replying.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan