The quality or state of being hesitant: Jackson took advantage of some hesitancy in the defence to rifle in a shot
More example sentences
- With equal frequency he swept the ball off the sod without a second's hesitancy, and all told his was a performance fit to grace any final.
- The hesitancy and uncertainty that characterised the lead-up to this conflict has now been taken into the battlefield.
- There is one man who will have no doubts or hesitancies.
uncertainty, hesitation, hesitance, unsureness, doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, irresolution, irresoluteness, indecision, indecisiveness, equivocation, vacillation, wavering, scepticism, nervousness, second thoughts;
dithering, stalling, shilly-shallying, temporizing, temporization, pausing, delay, hanging back, waiting;
British havering, humming and hawing;
- Example sentences
- We must overcome our hesitance, doubt, fear, anxiety, grief, torment, suffering… if we can do all of these things, we can do anything.
- Instantly he saw me, but in place of the smile he would have given me only two days ago, there was a look of uncertainty and hesitance.
- Faerwald thought about the girl's hesitance for a second before replying.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.