Tentative, unsure, or slow in acting or speaking: clients are hesitant about buying her slow, hesitant way of speaking
More example sentences
- The kiss was slow and innocent at first, apprehensive; he was still hesitant and unsure.
- I know that you run into a lot of people who are hesitant to accept the fact that you say you do this.
- I was a little nervous and hesitant about taking on the job three years ago but I am glad that I did.
uncertain, undecided, unsure, doubtful, in doubt, dubious, tentative, half-hearted, ambivalent, sceptical, reluctant, nervous, having misgivings, having qualms, hanging back, stalling, delaying;
irresolute, hesitating, indecisive, dithering, vacillating, wavering, oscillating, shilly-shallying, in two minds, in a quandary, in a dilemma, on the horns of a dilemma;
British havering, humming and hawing
- More example sentences
- When she got him on the line, he was suspicious but hesitantly agreed to meet her for a drink.
- I have read that he does not allow taping of interviews and yet, hesitantly, ask him for permission to do so.
- He stands up, looks at me hesitantly, waits for me to finish, and sits down.