Definition of heteroclite in English:
Abnormal or irregular: the book suffers from the heteroclite and ill-fitting nature of its various elements
More example sentences
- In America on the other hand, immigrant publics, with weakened connexions to heteroclite pasts, could only be aggregated by narrative and visual schemas stripped to their most abstract, recursive common denominators.
- His objection to Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics lies in its lack of uniform argument or quality: ‘It is heteroclite, a hodge-podge of astute comment and utter bosh’.
- Lefebvre's Marxism was heteroclite, and was heavily informed via his engagement with other thinkers.
nounBack to top
1An abnormal thing or person.
- The most monomaniacal and extreme of Berlin Dadaists, Johannes Baader is to Dada what Byron is to Romanticism, ultimately inassimilable and heteroclitic among heteroclites.
- The ` moderns’ includes Gerrit Rietveld and Alvar Aalto and the ` heteroclites’ (a term used to describe those designers mixing styles from a number of sources such as surrealism and popular culture) features Gio Ponti and Isamu Noguchi.
1.1An irregularly declined word, especially a Greek or Latin noun.
- Lily had intended to supply a text on heteroclites, and Robertson did so; but no text is here mentioned.
- There is not space here to catalogue the various irregularities, heteroclites, metaplastic forms, etc., of Attic Greek, but the lists given in Kuehner-Blass, or any other of the more elaborate Greek grammars, are enough to convince the most skeptical.
- Example sentences
- One strategy to improve the immune reaction is to make what are called heteroclitic antigen variants.
- This server provides a computerised approach to the design of heteroclitic peptides, using the additive method to calculate affinities.
- INNO - 305 also utilizes heteroclitic technology in which the wild-type WT1 sequences are altered to improve the immunotherapeutic's ability to activate T-cells.
Definition of heteroclite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India