Definition of heterodox in English:
Not conforming with accepted or orthodox standards or beliefs: heterodox views
More example sentences
- Although they sponsored a number of bishops whose beliefs were regarded as heterodox, they were not seen as threats to the Church of England as compared to that presented by the Catholic Stuarts.
- Mursell also is attentive to the significance of heterodox texts and figures; the Lollards reveal as much about the English character as Julian of Norwich does.
- These heterodox opinions have, in some respects, dogged Evangelicalism ever since.
unorthodox, heretical, dissenting, dissident, blasphemous, nonconformist, apostate, freethinking, iconoclastic, schismatic, rebellious, renegade, separatist, sectarian, revisionist;
sceptical, agnostic, atheistical, non-theistic, non-believing, unbelieving, idolatrous, pagan, heathen, impious
- Example sentences
- If their voices become dominant, they will poison the discourse and polarize Catholic intellectual life between obscurantist orthodoxy and arcane heterodoxy.
- His overeagerness to prove a ‘scientific’ point has led him to extreme heterodoxy.
- Indeed, the real object of these various sexual heterodoxies is to disestablish the family as the central institution of human society, the citadel of orthodoxy.
Words that rhyme with heterodoxworkbox • paradox
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.