Definition of heterogamy in English:
2 Botany A state in which the flowers of a plant are of two or more types. Compare with homogamy (sense 2.
2.1 another term for anisogamy.
3Marriage between people from different sociological or educational backgrounds. Compare with homogamy (sense 1.
- An examination of the relative social positions of spouses shows that heterogamy, the marriage of people from different social backgrounds, was not characteristic after World War II either.
- However, it definitely does not support the hypothesis of decreasing barriers to inter-class heterogamy over time.
- The three barriers to heterogamy are described by inheritance, sectoral, and hierarchy parameters.
- Example sentences
- The most heterogamous were the sons of skilled workers and unskilled workers.
- Based on the presence or absence of fertile stamens and fertile pistils, the heads can be further classified into heterogamous and homogamous capitula.
- The practical upshot in your case is that your children will be much more likely to be heterogamous themselves.
Words that rhyme with heterogamyendogamy, exogamy, homogamy, misogamy, monogamy
Definition of heterogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.