Definition of heteroglossia in English:
The presence of two or more expressed viewpoints in a text or other artistic work.
- Oreo displays Ross's appreciation for the diverse influences that contribute to America's cultural heterogeneity and its linguistic heteroglossia.
- In the seminal essay ‘Discourse in the Novel,’ Mikhail Bakhtin introduces the concept of heteroglossia as a way of ordering the linguistic play and confusion of the English comic novel.
- Movies are a mode whose elastic form, by turns comic, ironic, and parodic, can tolerate heteroglossia that would wreck more narrowly defined forms.
- Example sentences
- As she does so, Ross also shares with her reader the difficult choices the author confronts as she attempts to represent the diversity of her characters' speech and to create a heteroglossic novel.
- The heteroglossic and dialogical sketches created by Langston Hughes are essentially dialogues.
- We can only conclude then that the refracted intent of this heteroglossic and multi-voiced dialogue is to further a positive interaction between African American and white through evoking a common past.
Definition of heteroglossia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan