noun (plural heurigen /-g(ə)n/)[mass noun]
- 1(In Austria) wine from the latest harvest.More example sentences
- The Austrian love for the new wine, or heuriger, is witnessed by dozens of drinking songs.
- 1.1 [count noun] An Austrian establishment where wine from the latest harvest is served.More example sentences
- Those wanting to do serious tastings of these wines will find that many of the best heurigen are in Vienna's 19th quarter.
- Cultivating and harvesting grapes, and running a heuriger, have traditionally been a family business.
- While the wine is what determines the quality of a heurige, the food - usually a buffet of cheese, cold cuts, warm dishes and fresh vegetables - is simple and good.
Austrian German, literally 'this year's (wine)'.
More definitions of heurigerDefinition of heuriger in:
- The US English dictionary