Definition of hexagram in English:
1.1A star-shaped figure formed by two intersecting equilateral triangles.
- In 1876 Veronese was appointed as assistant in analytical geometry on the strength of his paper on Pascal's hexagram.
- The hexagram, the well-known Hindu symbol of a six-pointed star, is also known as the Star of David or Jewish Star, and can be used to symbolise Israel or Jews.
- I went to the blackboard and drew the yin-yang symbol and the hexagram.
1.2Any of a set of sixty-four figures made up of six parallel whole or broken lines, occurring in the ancient Chinese I Ching.
- Sixty-four different combinations of six broken or unbroken lines produce sixty-four different hexagrams.
- The I Ching, oriental mysticism, is based on sixty-four hexagrams.
- The meanings of the hexagrams were divined many years ago by Chinese philosopher-priests in tune with the Tao (Chinese for path or way).
Definition of hexagram in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan