Definition of hexaploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing six homologous sets of chromosomes.
- There is a high degree of colinearity among hexaploid wheat chromosomes within each of the seven homoeologous groups.
- For example, Devos and Gale used the term ‘genome’ to refer to both the entire complement of nuclear DNA in a hexaploid wheat nucleus and to the individual A, B and D ‘genomes’.
- In all three polyploids, the respective tetraploid and hexaploid genome sizes are slightly larger than the corresponding multiple of the diploid subsp. glaucum.
1.1(Of an organism or species) composed of hexaploid cells.
- The observed segmental structure of the Brassica genome strongly suggests that the extant Brassica diploid species evolved from a hexaploid ancestor.
- Together with other Brassica species, it likely descends from a hexaploid ancestor followed by extensive rearrangements, making its genome essentially a triplicated A. thaliana genome.
- Recent molecular data indicate differences in molecular chromosome organization among the genomes of diploid, tetraploid, and hexaploid wheat.
nounBack to top
A hexaploid organism, variety, or species.
- Both parents and all the progenies are hexaploids, as shown twice using flow cytometry.
- Cytological variation of R. japonica var. japonica in its native regions is high and includes tetraploids, hexaploids, octoploids and decaploids.
- By 1939, after seven years’ work with repeated crossing of hexaploids and octoploids, a German scientist, Müntzing, was getting promising results, and by 1950 he had produced plants with 90% of the yield of wheat.
- hexaploidy noun
- Example sentences
- Mixoploidy has not been reported for Polycelis nigra, but examples from triploidy to hexaploidy and hyperploidy are frequent.
- Study of the chromosomes has indicated that the central n = 36 was derived from hexaploidy from n = 12.
- Wheat's hexaploidy is not homogeneous; three different genomes each contribute 7 chromosomes to give the hexaploid complement of genetic material.
Definition of hexaploid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.