- Of or relating to the reproduction of music or other sound with high fidelity: hi-fi equipment a hi-fi magazineMore example sentences
- In the course of the night there will be a draw for a number of very attractive prizes including a colour TV, microwave and hi-fi music centre.
- The pocket-sized WiFi base station is designed to stream music through a home hi-fi amplifier.
- The lounge was empty, apart from Ailsa sitting in the corner wearing a pair of headphones and listening to music on the hi-fi system.
noun (plural hi-fis)Back to top
- A set of equipment for playing CDs or records in high-fidelity sound: I bought him a new hi-fi for ChristmasMore example sentences
- In contrast, the price of equipment like TVs, hi-fis, radios and personal stereos has fallen - and now cost barely a quarter of what you paid for them 15 years ago.
- They have seized thousands of pounds worth of property including televisions, videos, hi-fis, jewellery and mobile phones.
- For example, children and teenagers tend to make their own living space in their bedrooms with personal entertainment in the form of computers, TVs, DVDs and hi-fis.
1950s: abbreviation of high fidelity.
More definitions of hi-fiDefinition of hi-fi in:
- The US English dictionary