noun (plural same)
- (In Japan) a survivor of either of the atomic explosions at Hiroshima or Nagasaki in 1945.More example sentences
- For many Americans, the hibakusha - the Japanese survivors of the atomic bombs - became archetypes for the human condition in the Atomic Age.
- With huge photographs of the carnage, and stories from hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors), they eloquently conveyed the heartfelt plea of most Japanese people for nuclear abolition.
- Lifting up that light, the aging hibakusha are calling for U.S. President George Bush to visit Hiroshima.
mid 20th century: Japanese, from hi 'suffer' + baku 'explosion' + sha 'person'.
More definitions of hibakushaDefinition of hibakusha in:
- The US English dictionary