- Genus Carya, family Juglandaceae: several species.
- In the southern Blue Ridge, the chestnut was replaced largely by oaks and hickories, and also by yellow-poplar, maple, hemlock, and other species, depending on local conditions.
- Snaking across rugged forested land, the trails lead you through a mix of oak, hickory, beech and maple that present a range of almost Eastern-quality fall colors.
- However, Stone envisioned some twenty pieces of furniture - chairs, couches, sofas, benches, stools, screens, and tables - in oak, hickory, and cherry.
- Genus Acacia, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular A. implexa
- On the ridges and slopes white box and red stringy bark (E.macroryncha) dominate in association with kurrajong and hickory wattle.
late 17th century: abbreviation of pohickery, the local Virginian name, from Algonquian pawcohiccora.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of hickory in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.