noun (plural hidalgos)
- A gentleman in a Spanish-speaking country: the local hidalgo was no more an absentee than his peasantsMore example sentences
- Because Arab invaders did not vanquish the Basques, the Spanish Crown considered them hidalgos, or noblemen.
- The Spanish government faced a policy problem: how to insure a ‘decent’ standard of living to the Spanish hidalgos who were not supposed to work with their hands.
- Don Quixote is really an impoverished hidalgo named Alonso Quijano - or is it Quijada?
late 16th century: Spanish, from hijo de algo, literally 'son of something' (i.e. of an important person).
More definitions of HidalgoDefinition of hidalgo in:
- The US English dictionary