- 1Extremely ugly: hideous lizard-like creaturesMore example sentences
- She described a hideous humpbacked creature with stumpy horns, and bristles down the back of a long neck.
- As well as animal forms, demons can have other grotesque and hideous forms.
- If you decide that your girlfriend was right and you are rather hideous then don't despair.
- 1.1Extremely unpleasant: the whole hideous storyMore example sentences
horrific, terrible, appalling, awful, dreadful, frightful, fearful, horrible, horrendous, horrifying, shocking, sickening, gruesome, ghastly, very bad, terribly bad, unspeakable, outrageous, abhorrent, monstrous, heinous, abominable, foul, vile, odious, loathsome, contemptible, execrable, indescribable• informal God-awfulBritish • informal beastly• rare egregious
- I nearly stayed in, but the thought of the Scottish TV Hogmanay special was just too hideous to contemplate.
- She stuck her arms up into the air and laughed a hideous, horrible laugh.
- To this day, I still feel appalled that there are people who have such hideous and dark sides to them.
- [as submodifier]: a hideously expensive cameraMore example sentences
- The vet gives him injections every month, which are hideously expensive and which don't seem to be working that well.
- Bermuda is a hideously expensive place to live and many things cost a lot more here than they do elsewhere in the world.
- I could claim to be a model (admittedly only to people that have never seen how hideously unattractive I am).
- More example sentences
- I've been to some grim places in my time, but nothing prepared me for the sheer hideousness of Bristol in the rain.
- Toronto looks its best when seen from a ferry in the lake from where you can admire the CN Tower and surrounding buildings, avoiding the hideousness both to the right and left.
- The hideousness of that thing will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life.
Middle English: from Old French hidos, hideus, from hide, hisde 'fear', of unknown origin.