verb (hies, hieing or hying, hied)[no object, with adverbial of direction] • archaic
- Go quickly: I hied down to New Orleans I hied me to a winehouseMore example sentences
- Next day I hied off to Newport, always a busy spot.
- We hied back to our hotel, where we took refuge under the veranda of the beachfront bar and watched the rain beat down.
- If you're in London and haven't been to Borough Market before, hie thee hence when you get a spare moment… it's a true foodies heaven.
Middle English: from Old English hīgian 'strive, pant', of unknown origin.
More definitions of hieDefinition of hie in:
- The US English dictionary