- A chief priest, archbishop, or other leader.More example sentences
- Certainly there have been notable Orthodox hierarchs in this country and abroad, many of them Russians, whose vision of Orthodoxy and its catholic mission was a resplendent one.
- There is a mosaic in Ravenna portraying saints, martyrs, hierarchs, and faithful laity, each of them holding a crown that they will place at the feet of Christ.
- The works of their most respected theologians and thinkers are not only still unavailable in most of Russia's seminaries, but are also viewed by many hierarchs as heretical.
late Middle English: via medieval Latin from Greek hierarkhēs, from hieros 'sacred' + arkhēs 'ruler'.
More definitions of hierarchDefinition of hierarch in:
- The US English dictionary