Definition of hierophant in English:
A person, especially a priest, who interprets sacred mysteries or esoteric principles.
- The dedicatory inscription on a statue base found in the Agora Excavations throws new light on relations between families of hierophants and daduchs in the late second and early third century A.D.
- As it happens, we know the hierophants who served from the reign of Antoninus Pius to ca. 191: Flavius Leosthenes and Julius Hierophantes.
- The father of Apollonios the hierophant was, as mentioned above, C. Iulius Casianus Apollonios of Steiria.
- Example sentences
- The priest, whether Hindu or Catholic, had a hierophantic role attached to his ritual and art of communion with the beyond.
- The French Gnostic Tradition is hierophantic in nature and transmission.
- The Gospel of Thomas represents a partial record of his activities as teacher, although indications of his hierophantic mysteries are present also.
Definition of hierophant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan