An embassy of one Commonwealth country in another: the Australian High Commission in Port Vila
More example sentences
- Diplomats at the British high commission have been put on full alert and told to prepare for an evacuation at any time.
- Before travelling anywhere, check the latest visa requirements well in advance, with your travel agent, tour operator or the embassy or high commission of the countries you intend to visit.
- Britain closed its embassy in Indonesia and high commission in Singapore.
high commissioner noun
- Example sentences
- Incoming ambassadors and high commissioners from Germany, America, Sudan, Mauritius and Brazil presented the president with their credentials.
- He has also been ambassador in Suva and high commissioner in Belmopan before coming to Zambia in the same capacity.
- The two countries' high commissioners should immediately pick up the phone, and call each other, and their respective home secretaries.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: high com¦mis|sion
Definition of high commission in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.