Definition of high court in English:
1A supreme court of justice.
- Smith's case had brought unusual drama to the normally sedate high court.
- She notes that Canada's high court has held that to be constitutional, a law must promote equality.
- The Canadians' own high court has recognized the Mi'kmaq's treaty right to earn a livelihood by fishing.
1.1 (in full High Court of Justice) (In England and Wales) the court of unlimited civil jurisdiction comprising three divisions: Queen’s Bench, Chancery, and the Family Division.
- The case surrounding the two directors was heard at the High Court of Justice in London.
- The case is expected to go before London's high court next year.
- However, it underestimated the calibre of its policyholders, which included high court judges.
1.2 (in full High Court of Justiciary) The supreme criminal court of Scotland.
- I would hold therefore that the decision of the High Court of Justiciary to reduce the appellant's sentence by nine months in order to compensate him for the effects of the delay was an appropriate and sufficient remedy.
- He can appeal to the High Court of Justiciary if a sheriff decides to extradite him.
- In support of the first argument, strong reliance is placed upon the decision of the majority of the High Court of Justiciary in McIntosh v HM Advocate.
Definition of high court in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.