The day of a religious festival.
More example sentences
- The Bible describes two kinds of Sabbath whereon all customary work was precluded: the regular weekly Sabbaths which were fixed DAYS, ‘the seventh day of the week’, and special Sabbaths or high days that are fixed DATES, and can fall upon any day of the week.
- For high days I have a thimble-sized glass to drink port.
- On high days he would have been carried to the temple for celebrations and sacrifices.
high days and holidays
- informal Special occasions: the drawing room is used only on high days and holidaysMore example sentences
- Our forbears thrived very well on oats, oily fish and kale, with full cream milk and a bit of cheese and meat on high days and holidays and I imagine they were financially very stretched indeed.
- Traditional family gatherings - high days and holidays - form the setting for this domestic drama.
- She comes home for high days and holidays and we toddle over to her for the odd weekend too.
Definition of high day in:
- The US English dictionary