- A gear that causes a wheeled vehicle to move fast, due to a high ratio between the speed of the wheels and that of the mechanism driving them: pull away in high gear the high gears make whizzing downhill safer • figurative the war against the Mafia has gone into high gearMore example sentences
- On icy or slushy roads, motorists are advised to use high gears to avoid wheel spin.
- Indeed it is so flexible that you can drive around at low speeds in a high gear when you are feeling lazy.
- If the ratios are too tight, the car will be in high gear very quickly and the engine will be screaming by the time the car nears the finish line.
More definitions of high gearDefinition of high gear in:
- The US English dictionary