1Denoting petrol having a high octane number and thus good anti-knock properties.
- A petrol tank containing high-octane fuel is beside your seat.
- The AA says if you do that to a vehicle designed to run on high-octane petrol, the engine ‘would seize’.
- That is why high-performance cars generally need high-octane gasoline - their engines are using higher compression ratios to get more power.
1.1Powerful or dynamic: a high-octane forty-year-old
More example sentences
- One of the main challenges of filming, he says, lay in translating the passion and the high-octane energy of the sport to the screen.
- The fund toned down its aggressive, high-octane formula.
- How can this be reconciled with the market-driven, high-octane, modernising spirit of the new millennium?
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: high-octane
Definition of high-octane in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.