Definition of high wire in English:
1A high tightrope.
- The girls look down from the high wire riding bicycles across the taut cable toward each other.
- Loretta Bailey, especially, who tackles Maria with a flighty charm, is performing on a very high wire.
- This is not a momentary wobble: at this point the acrobat has slipped off the high wire altogether and brought the show to a tragic halt.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting an activity requiring great skill or judgement: the high-wire act performed daily by many mental health workers
More example sentences
- He has tremendous personal charisma and he performed a high wire political act that was irresistible to the media.
- ‘America's reliance on foreign capital,’ he writes, ‘is a balancing act on a very high wire.’
- It's like working on the high wire without a net, or a leap in the dark - with a pair of scissors… and a can of gasoline.
Definition of high wire in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan