Definition of highball in English:
1A drink consisting of a spirit, especially whisky, and a mixer such as soda, served with ice in a tall glass.
- We found twelve boxes of glassware that my father had won - glasses for old fashioneds, manhattans, margaritas, highballs, beer, and wine.
- Shake all ingredients for 15 seconds and strain into a highball glass filled with ice, garnish with apple slice.
- CEOs, like other executives, may see it as part of their job to have a few highballs at a business dinner or to let loose a bit at the company holiday party.
2 informal A railway signal to proceed.
- At 8: 12 AM we got the highball, and proceeded west.
- Then there was some difficulty with the brake test and we finally got the highball at 8: 49, So the train which had been running early was now nearly an hour late.
- Shortly after settling into my seat, we got the highball and left the station right on the advertised at 10: 20 AM.
verb[no object, with adverbial of direction] informal Back to top
Travel fast: they highballed north
More example sentences
- We made an on-time stop at Gainesville, GA at 7: 43 AM, and then highballed towards Atlanta.
- The level of the fighting was apparent as we highballed toward the base's gate.
- We then highballed nonstop to Jamaica, following the same route through Queens as we had taken earlier.
Words that rhyme with highballeyeball
Definition of highball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.